I have been trying to get my hands on this vintage Butterick pattern (6531) for literally years, and I finally found a copy of it on Etsy a few months ago! I had been looking for it ever since Jasika Nicole posted her version — which is probably why it’s been so popular, and I haven’t been able to find it anywhere. The pattern I bought was actually a size down from my actual size, but I didn’t care, I just wanted it SO badly.
After I bought the pattern, I was on a mission to find the perfect fabric for it, and then I won a fabric giveaway that Evelyn was doing. She had this gorgeous black and blue rayon that I knew was going to be perfect.
I thought for sure I would make view C just like Jasika, but after getting the fabric, I decided I really liked the casual look of view B for this fabric. I got a little adventurous and decided to do gathers instead of the pleats, and I think it turned out cute for this shirt, but I’m interested to try view C next and do pleats on my next one.
It’s pretty laughable that the envelope of this pattern says it’s a “quick” sewing pattern. Any pattern with button plackets and a collar is definitely not quick. The instructions for this pattern were pretty awful. This pattern is from the 70’s, but I was so confused at how bad the finishing methods were, and it showed a pretty complicated way to enclose the yoked. I ended up opening the instructions for the Cheyenne Tunic to follow the burrito method, and I did French seams throughout the shirt. I did like the way they had me do the sleeve cuffs because I thought it was interesting, but other than that, I would scrap these instructions. I have been way too spoiled with indie patterns. Haha.
I think it would have made a difference to make this in my correct size, because you can tell in the photo of the back (above), that the width at the hips isn’t right and it’s all bunchy at my lower back. I think it would help if I didn’t have it half tucked, or if I just full tucked. I will probably grade out a little bit on the back the next time I make this shirt.
The only adjustment I made was to lengthen the bodice pieces by 2″. I don’t know that I would make this view again, but if I did, I would shorten the sleeves a little bit just because they’re an awkward length that end up getting all wrinkled from being right in the crease of my elbow.
It was an interesting experience, and I’m still just so glad that I finally got my hands on this pattern! Hopefully I’ll have the chance to make view C soon. If you have any questions or comments, let me know! Happy sewing! xo
This post contains affiliate links. For more information see our Affiliate Links disclosure.