I made this Tazzy T-Shirt quite a while ago…at the beginning of June to be exact. I turned out SO cute, but we were in the middle of a lot of house projects, and I only wore it once before it was too warm to wear.
I’m very excited to share it now though, especially since we’re in the 60-70s (F) in the PNW, and I can finally wear it again! I discovered Lore Piar at the beginning of this year, and she is amazing! I love her patterns and style, so you should definitely check her out. I bought this pattern and the Loni Top during a sale that she was having, and I was very excited to try the Tazzy pattern with shorter sleeves.
One of the style bloggers that I follow shared this shirt she bought from Sold Out NYC, and I remembered that the Tazzy Shirt (up to 75″ hip) had very similar sleeves! I got scheming right away and was trying to decide between using a cotton/spandex or a ponte de roma. I went with this mid weight cotton jersey from Style Maker because I wanted it to avoid looking too dressy and to still fit in with my mom life, that is usually in no way glamorous. Haha.
Looking at the RTW shirt details, I just read that it is made with French terry! That would have been extra cozy and would have helped more with the sleeve volume. It also has ribbing for the neckline, cuffs, and hem. I used a fine cotton ribbing from Style Maker which worked really well. I didn’t use it for the hem, but it would be a pretty easy thing to add if you wanted that look.
I was a little confused because when I bought the pattern there weren’t any instructions included, but after a few minutes I realized that instead of written instructions, there is a video. It was easy enough to follow since I’ve made plenty of t-shirts before. Written instructions are included as captions throughout the video. I had to have a little bit of faith that I was doing the sleeves correctly, but sure enough, they turned out great!
I made the size 8, which matches up with my bust measurement. My waist and hips are wider than this size, but there isn’t any shaping in the side seams, so I wasn’t worried about it being too tight around my stomach. And you can tell in these photos that there is plenty of extra fabric. If you wanted it more fitted, you could use the shaping from another pattern.
I lengthened the bodice pieces by 2″ and straightened the hem because I will most likely full tuck this shirt every time I wear it. That’s also why I was lazy and still haven’t hemmed it. Haha.
The sleeves are shortened by 3.5″. I cut out the size 8 cuff, but it was a bit loose, so I took off more width, and I think I made them a little bit too tight. (whoops.) So, I’ll have to fix that eventually. But before I sewed them to the sleeve, I pulled them on and pinned them to see if the length of the sleeve was right – which is a good idea if you’re not sure if you want to shorten them.
I am really happy with how it turned out! It’s so cute and it feel a little bit fancy when I wear it, but it’s comfortable enough that I wouldn’t mind wearing it to run errands. Now that I know the RTW one is made with French terry, I might try again in the future. If you try it with FT, be sure to tag me so that I can see how it looks!
If you have any questions or comments, let me know. And happy sewing! xo