I have once again made a pattern that has been on my make list for a very long time now! And, since this is apparently The Year of the Buttons for me, the Kalle Shirt was high up on my list. This is another Closet Case Files pattern, just like my Carolyn Pajama Top from last month.
The pattern has a high-low hem with very drastic curves at the sides, and while I think the hem is beautiful, if I left it how it is in the pattern, it would make me less likely to wear it. I decided to make the tunic version (view B) with the full button placket, and I redrafted the hem myself. For those interested, the front bottom curve is 2.5″ shorter in front, and 3.5″ shorter in the back, and I just adjusted both curves so they weren’t as drastic.
I added 1″ of length at the lengthen/shorten line and made a size 12, graded out to a 14 at the hips, although I didn’t really need to grade it, because it’s plenty roomy enough for me to have just made a straight 12. I followed the directions exactly most of the way though, although there were a couple of hiccups at the end (I was probably just tired and wanted to get it done).
When I was finishing the hem, I noticed that I had completely forgotten to top stitch the collar, so I just got as close to the seam as I could and top stitched. I also noticed that the finishing method for the sleeve cuffs were the same as the Carolyn Top (for those of you who have made either pattern), but I opted to just serge the raw edges and top stitch the seam in place. I asked Heather to do a Tute Tuesday on how to finish the sleeve cuffs, because I’m not sure I fully understand what the instructions suggest.
My favorite thing I learned from this pattern that I hadn’t ever done before was binding the hem. I liked that I didn’t have to worry about the shirt getting shorter, because I wasn’t folding the fabric up, and sewing the curves was much easier. I also liked how clean it made the hem look. I am a fan, and I hope to be able to do this with more shirts in the future.
Closet Case Files has really great patterns and instructions. They are designed well and are really easy to understand and follow. I love that they have the downloadable PDF for this pattern, because I personally hate taping patterns together. I print all of my pattern though PDF Plotting, and they have seriously saved me so much time and money. If you are in the U.S. you need to check them out! (All of the thumbs up!)
I have been wanting to make a white button up shirt for a while now, but I was really nervous about the fabric being too sheer. I emailed Michelle with Style Maker Fabrics and she suggested this linen blend shirting because it was the most opaque fabric she had, and she thought it would work really well. She was right! I have a mauve-ish colored bra on under this shirt, and you can’t even see it! The fabric feels great and it the perfect weight. I have worn it a couple of times already because the the rayon/linen keeps me cool all day, plus it’s a really loose silhouette, which is great when I don’t want anything touching me in the heat. The fabric also comes in blush and taupe.
I absolutely LOVE this shirt. The pattern and the fabric are honestly SO good. The one bummer is that white shirts and messy toddlers don’t mix very well. I will probably still wear it because I seriously feel awesome in it, but I’m just going to embrace that 10 minutes into wearing it, it’s going to be dirty, and that’s just life. I’ve already learned that OxiClean gets avocado out! Haha. I had a bunch of people comment on my last Instagram post about how to get stains out of white shirts, so I have a feeling a few of those might get used on this shirt in it’s lifetime. 😉