This is another “don’t knock it ’til you try it” recipe. Dallas’ family has a history of heart problems and not super good health, and that really scares me. So we have been trying to find healthier ways of eating that won’t make me want to kill myself.
These actually turned out pretty good!! Shocker, right? We found the recipe on allrecipes.com, but we made a few changes based on the comments. So you can go here for the original recipe, or our deliciously modified recipe is below.
1 (16 oz) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. hot sauce
1 cup oats
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet, or use parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together eggs, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in oats until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- Place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
Good luck and let me know how it goes!